Causes of diminished sex drive include anemia, depression, alcohol, certain medications, hormone imbalances, in particular low testosterone, thyroid and estrogen, stress and adrenal exhaustion and relationship problems.
Fortunately, there are natural ways to improve your sex drive.
1. Learn to manage stress. Cortisol, the hormone produced by your adrenal glands when you’re under stress interferes with libido. Cortisol has the same precursors as do estrogen and testosterone, and when you’re under stress and in the fight-flight mode, most of the precursors are used to make Cortisol. Over time, the excess Cortisol production will lead to deficiencies of testosterone and estrogen. Low testosterone decreases your sex drive. Low estrogen inhibits your sexual pleasure.
My favorite stress management tool is from the Institute of HeartMath ®. Using a combination of breath and appreciation, you can transform your stress to positive emotions within minutes.
2. Eat a diet high in green leafy vegetables. This will correct anemia, improve neurotransmitter function and provide the nutrients needed for your body to rebuild your adrenal glands. Add sea vegetables to support your thyroid gland, since it’s an important player in overall hormone health.
3. Avoid processed foods, caffeine and alcohol since these stress the system further and contribute to hormone imbalances. Use licorice and ginseng instead of caffeinated beverages to start your day, because they support your adrenal glands. Regular use of Licorice may increase your blood pressure, so be careful if you have a tendency towards hypertension.
4. Take time every day for nurturing and supporting yourself, even if it’s only 10 minutes. By getting enough sleep, exercising, engaging in artistic pursuits, and having fun on a daily basis, you are resetting your body to a calm state that’s conducive to hormone balance and increased sex drive.
5. Discover the wonderful world of herbs. There are herbs that balance hormone levels and below are a list of a few herbs that can help with libido…
This post has already been read 1559 times!